Great for breakfast or dessert. Top with mini chocolate chips and syrup or go all in and top with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 ½ Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted (plus extra for the waffle iron)
- Lightly grease the waffle iron with the extra melted butter and turn on to preheat.
- Mix together the flour, salt, cocoa, baking powder, and sugar in a mixing bowl and make a well in the center.
- Add the egg yolks, milk, vanilla extract, and 3 Tablespoons melted butter to the well and, using a whisk, beat just until blended.
- Put the egg whites into a clean bowl, and using a hand mixer, beat until still peaks form.
- Using a large metal spoon, fold the egg whites into the batter until it looks evenly foamy, it may have some white streaks.
- Fill the waffle iron as directed by the manufacturer instructions and let cook. Be cautious as chocolate waffles will scorch quicker than plain ones.
- Let cool for a minute on a wire rack and serve with your favorite toppings.
Recipe from Chocolate Cookbook.