Nutmeg Feather Cake
This is a classic spice cake that would also work well with strawberries and whipped cream as a topping.Plan Ahead Note: the butter must be softened to room temperature.
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cream butter and shortening together; gradually add sugar, creaming until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Add beaten eggs and continue to mix until light.
- In a small bowl, sift flour, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add to butter mixture, alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition and ending with flour.
- Pour into a greased 13" x 9" x 2" pan. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean and the top of the cake is golden brown. Serve cake warm.
Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook.