Cola Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
The cola makes this cake super moist and the peanut butter frosting is so delicious! Try it with Coke, Dr. Pepper, even Root Beer!Plan Ahead Note: butter must be softened and eggs should be room temperature.
- 1 cup cola
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup butter
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 16 oz. pkg. powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine cola and buttermilk in a 2 cup measuring cup.
- Beat butter at low speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until blended.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat a lot speed just until blended.
- Combine flour and next 2 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add to butter mixture alternately with cola mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 13" x 9" pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare Peanut Butter Frosting. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in milk, and bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat to low, and whisk in peanut butter until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in sugar until smooth; remove from heat, and whisk in vanilla. Pour over warm cake.
Recipe from Southern Living Magazine.