Chocolate Velvet Cupcakes
Top these cupcakes with Browned Butter-Cinnamon-Cream Cheese Frosting and you have one decadent dessert! If you have not made browned butter, this is the recipe to try it on.Plan Ahead Note: the butter and cream cheese need to be softened to room temperature.
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 16 oz. pkg. light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 8 oz. container sour cream
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
- 1 16 oz. pkg. powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Microwave morsels in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH for 1-1 ½ minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30 second intervals.
- Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended (about 5 minutes.)
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add melted chocolate and beat until blended.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Gradually add hot water in a slow, steady stream, beating at low speed just until blended. Stir in vanilla.
- Place paper baking cups in muffin pans, and fill ¾" full.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean. Remove from pans to wire racks and let cool completely. Frost cupcakes.
- Cook butter in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6-8 minutes or until butter begins to turn golden brown. Immediately remove from heat.
- Pour butter into a bowl. Cover and chill 1 hour or until butter is cool and begins to solidify.
- Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add powdered sugar beating until light and fluffy. Stir in ground cinnamon and vanilla.
Recipe from Southern Living Magazine.