Spiced Beef Tacos with Cilantro Lime Rice
This is a slightly different take on taco meat and the cilantro lime rice is the perfect accompainment for the dish. I use the frozen brown rice from Trader Joe's, since it cooks up in 3 minutes in the microwave, making it a quick weeknight meal.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- ⅔ cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb. 93% lean ground beef
- ½ cup unsalted chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 ½ cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped, seeded tomato
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- 1 8.5oz. pouch of brown rice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until golden.
- Add chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and oregano; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add sirloin; cook 5 minutes, stirring to crumble.
- Add stock and salt; cook 4 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat.
- Divide beef mixture evenly among tortillas; top evenly with lettuce, tomato, and sour cream.
- Prepare rice. Combine with cilantro and lime juice in a medium bowl. Serve inside the tortillas or on the side.
Recipe from Cooking Light Magazine.