Black and Blue Steak Salad
I love this salad! Don't skip making the homemade croutons, they are fantastic. If you are not a fan of blue cheese (I'm not, my husband is) just omit or add your favorite creamy cheese.
- 4 oz. whole-wheat French bread baguette cubed
- olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 12oz. flank steak
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 cups arugula firmly packed
- ½ ripe avocado sliced
- 1 oz. blue cheese crumbles
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Arrange bread cubes on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Broil 2 minutes until toasted, stirring after 1 minute. Let cool.
- Heat the grill to medium high heat.
- Combine salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Rub spice mixture evenly over steak.
- Grill steak 5-6 minutes on each side for medium rare. Place steak on a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Cut across the grain into thin slices.
- Combine oil, vinegar, and mustard in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add toasted bread cubes, steak, and arugula, tossing to coat.
- Divide salad among 4 plates. Top evenly with avocado and blue cheese crumbles.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light Magazine.