Beef Tostadas with Quick Pickled Onions
I am normally not a fan of onions with my Mexican food, but these pickled onions make this dish! The only drawback is that your kitchen will smell like you were dying Easter Eggs!!
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- ⅔ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ jalapeño seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 lb. 90% lean ground sirloin
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
- corn tostados toasted
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped, fresh cilantro leaves
- Combine onion, vinegar, ¼ cup water, sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt, and jalapeño slices in a saucepan over high heat; bring to a simmer. Cook 1 minute; remove from heat and let stand until ready to use.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray.
- Add ground beef, chili powder, cumin, garlic, paprika, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt to pan.
- Cook 5 minutes or until meat is completely browned and crumbled. Stir in oil.
- Drain onion mixture.
- Top tostadas evenly with beef mixture, onion mixture, sour cream, and cilantro.
Recipe from Cooking Light Magazine.