Beef and Cabbage Stir-Fry
This dish comes together pretty quickly, especially if you cut and chop in advance. Serve beef over brown rice (I love the Trader Joe's brown rice in the freezer section).
- ½ cup unsalted beef stock
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 12 oz. flank steak cut against the grain into thin strips
- 3 ½ Tablespoons soy sauce divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar divided
- 4 cups chopped red cabbage
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 8.8oz. pkgs. precooked microwaveable brown rice warmed
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- Whisk together stock and cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon canola oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium high.
- Add steak; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 ½ Tablespoons soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Cook, stirring often, until meat is charred, 1-2 minutes. Remove steak to a plate.
- Add cabbage, ginger, garlic, and remaining 1 Tablespoon canola oil; stirring often, until cabbage begins to wilt, 2-3 minutes.
- Add stock mixture, remaining 2 Tablespoons soy sauce, and remaining ½ teaspoon sugar.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and simmer until cabbage is crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in steak, carrots, scallions, sesame oil, and vinegar. Cook 1 minute.
- Serve over brown rice, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Recipe from Southern Living Magazine.